Dec 13, 2010

New Topic!

Ok, so I guess its my turn to choose the topic before the system changes and as always it should be something fun, so....

East Asian Monsters... it could be something entirely crazy and I know how we all like that. There are some pretty strange Japanese monsters (Yokai) but it needn't be limited to just Japan. It makes it a little more challenging to make it area specific but you know you will find something there that piques your interest.

And of course there are no limits to posting on an older topic, so if you who want to post an introduction, you still can.

9 comments:

Shelley said...

awesome, I'm excited! will probably end up doing several doodles for each country or something, haha.

Shelley said...

ooh ooh also this might come in handy: http://www.obakemono.com/

Brian "Beard" said...

Cheater! Tris is cheating, he already drew a Griffon like a week ago!! CHEATER!

Shelley said...

gryffins ain't east asian, foo'!

Tristram said...

Yeah I can't post that!

Brian "Beard" said...

Are you not familiar with the great griffon migration of 1623

Tristram said...

Muwahahah! I also can recommend the following books for possible idea fodder:
Yokai Attack!: The Japanese Monster Survival Guide by Hiroko Yoda and Matt Alt

Hyaku Kaidan Monogatari Shusei (if you can get your hands on a copy- check the East Asian stacks at your local library! I know the New York Library has an excellent collection of abridged and unabridged copies and while you're there, ask about their collection of emaki (picture scrolls)!)

Pandemonium and parade: Japanese monsters and the culture of Yokai by Michael Foster.
Hope I didn't twist Tris' arm too obviously, and I'm super excited to see what you guys come up with!
Hana :)

Shelley said...

o hai Hana :) however hard you had to twist Tris' arm, i'm certainly not complaining about your influence.

and thanks for the sources, whether or not i end up using them for this particular challenge they'll definitely go on my 'to-read' list! now to go watch Pom Poko again...

Tiana Mone'e said...

This Sounds Like so much fun. I can't wait to get started!