Aug 18, 2011

Cat's Eyes


This is my submission for the East Asian Monsters prompt here on TWD. Yes, I know it's been a while since I or anyone else has posted but hey, new posting! Exciting no?

I had no idea what I would do since my knowledge on East Asian Mythology is somewhat limited. Thankfully one of my friends lived in Japan for a time and has a ridiculous amount of knowledge on the subject of folklore and mythology. She suggested that I do what is known as a Bakeneko and while reading up on the creature (essentially a magical cat) one of the legends in particular caught my attention:

"Another famous bake-neko story is about a man named Takasu Genbei, whose mother’s personality changed completely after his pet cat went missing for many years. His mother avoided the company of friends and family and would take her meals alone in her room. When the family peeked in on her they saw a cat-like monster in the mother's clothes, chewing on animal carcasses. Takasu, still skeptical, slew what looked like his mother and after one day his mother's body turned back into his pet cat that had been missing."


This image popped into my head after I read the description. It's still a rough draft, just like everything else I do heh, but hopefully I'll be able to clean it up. 

Cheers. 

No comments: